The Matykowski’s 10-year-old Rottweiler mix, Tucker, is known as the “food burglar,” because the mischievous pooch likes to snatch and gobble unattended treats. Two weeks ago, while Lois Matykowski was serving Popsicles to her two granddaughters, Tucker stole one and swallowed it whole, stick and all.
Tucker soon coughed up the stick, but what happened two days later was nothing short of miraculous. The still-queasy canine coughed up another surprise, but this time it was Matykowski’s diamond wedding ring, a ring that went missing more than five years ago.
As Matykowski approached the mess with cleaning supplies in hand, she could hardly believe her eyes when she saw something sparkling. “I screamed. I kid you not,” she said. The Stevens Point, Wis., resident cleaned up the ring with a soft toothbrush and it was good as new.
The family veterinarian believes the Popsicle stick may have helped to dislodge the ring that was stuck in the dog’s stomach for more than half his life. An X-ray confirmed there were no other baubles in his belly.
Devastated by the loss, Matykowski had checked every conceivable location in the house, the yard, the car. Nothing was left unturned, except Tucker’s tummy.
“My husband and I had been married for 20 years at that time,” Matykowski told ABC News. “We had just upgraded the ring, and it wasn’t insured. And it wasn’t just the value, but also the emotional ties. How do you replace that?”
Now Tucker is a neighborhood celebrity. “He’s the big dog on campus. He is my hero and I’m just elated,” said Matykowski.
Matykowski’s friends have said, “I want a dog that throws up diamonds.”
“Who wouldn’t, right?” she replied.